Spring has sprung! Finally, the Winter chill is slinking away, and we can pack away the boots, trench coats and scarves. As our surroundings begin to brighten, so do our menus: goodbye, soups and warm stews. Hello, light, zesty flavours! What better way to start off the new season than with this delicate Citrus Tart by our Pastry Sous Chef, Katy Mahomed? A poppy seed sweet pastry and silky lemon crème patisserie topped with lime pearls, orange frozen mousse and meringue…oh, yes, please!
Poppy Seed Sweet Pastry
40g icing sugar
1tbsp poppy seeds
Mix together flour, sugar and poppy seeds.
Cut butter into cubes, then rub into flour mix using finger tips only, until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
Using the egg, bring together flour mix to form a soft dough.
Cover with clingfilm, and allow to rest for 10-15min in a refrigerator, before rolling out.
Preheat oven to 180’C and prepare your tart cases.
Roll out pastry on a lightly floured surface to 5mm thick. Cut out to a size slightly larger than your tart case, then line the case with pastry.
Again, rest your pastry before baking to prevent shrinkage.
Bake for 10-15min, or until pastry is golden brown.
Lemon Creme Patisserie
1 cup milk
1tsp lemon zest
2 egg yolks
1/4 cup castor sugar
1. Scald milk with lemon zest on a low heat.
2. Whisk to combine egg yolks, sugar and flour.
3. Temper egg mix with milk, then return to heat and stir until the custard thickens.
4. Cover with clingfilm and refrigerate to cool before use.
Orange Frozen Mousse
1 egg yolk
110g castor sugar
10g powdered gelatin
1/4 cup orange juice
Zest of an orange
1. Sponge gelatin and set aside.
2. Scald half the cream with zest.
3. Whisk to combine eggs, egg yolks and sugar.
4. Temper egg mix with cream then stir in juice.
5. Melt down gelatin and add to mix.
6. Whisk remaining cream to stiff peaks, then fold into mix.
7. Pour into desired mould and set in freezer.
1 cup lime juice
60g castor sugar
2tsp Agar Agar
1. Combine all ingredients and bring to a boil.
2. Allow mix to cool, then syringe into very cold oil to form pearls.
3. Rinse off in cold water, gently to prevent pearls from breaking.
4. Refrigerate until ready to use.
2 egg whites
1/2 cup castor sugar
1. Whisk together over a water bath until sugar dissolves.
2. Pour into stand mixer and whisk until stiff peaks form.
3. Pipe into desired shapes, and dry in an oven at 100’C for 40-60min. (Time is dependent on size)
Fill tart cases with crème patisserie.
Gently unmould and place mousses on top.
Scatter meringue, pearls and a fresh berry of your choice.
I’ve used gooseberries, but this flavour profile pairs well with raspberries.
Now, you eat and enjoy!